Skip to main content

Bitten by the Goa bug - hippies, parties & techno in India

(sorry this page was lifted from my old website and is a little bit broken, will sort it soon)

Goa 1994/5/6 & 2003 - India '96 - Goa 2009 - Goa 2012 - Goa 2013

I went to Goa in 1994 (and 95) and never came back (even though I returned home soon after) Goa is the best place on the planet, a few people have asked me what was there to do in Anjuna in 1994? The answer is: chill out!

One article in Mixmag (uk dance music magazine) changed my life. It was about places to go around in the world for a good party, and I liked the sound of Anjuna beach. Once I had been there for a year my life was never the same. Ever since I have dreamt of being back there...


Anjuna Beach (Shore Bar to left) '94

The first two times I spent one year in India, six months each time over christmas and new year in 1994 & 1995. Going to Goa for two weeks it a waste of time. It is (was) a myth about constant techno parties, there are usually one or two a week, even if the police allow them at all.
Being in Goa is the whole experience: culture, chilling, parties, beach, India. Back then it was quiet and relaxed.

A Techno Party, Anjuna '95
(party in far background)

Returning in 2003 for two weeks: The Orange Boom and German Bakery are still cool. Anjuna is a much more busy but not so much changed. The Shore Bar is now a restaurant, not a techno bar and the Nine Bar in Vagator is the event until 10pm then is is over to the Primrose until there is word of a party. Oh and the Rose Garden Restaurant has shut down, they still provide B&B but that is it. I hated returning for only two weeks, it is rather too busy now and I am not sure how nice a long stay would be.


South Anjuna 2003 After this I returned in 2008/11/12/13.

Postcard Stuff...
Pictures of Anjuna beach, Baga, some cows, Enfield India, sunsets and other things Indian



Baga Beach


Anjuna Beach from the hill


Cows like the beach too, Anjuna


Anjuna hill at dusk


Watch the sunset from the
Shore Bar


The Orange Boom, Anjuna:
best fruit salad on the planet!


Enfield India = fun
see: Enfield Motorbike Page


A VW... man


Calangute (petrol station!)


I spy an elephant
outsitde my door


Hot cat


From the toliet window, a pig outside,
any ideas why?
It's a pig toilet, where they clear
away the waste for you.

Nani's and Rani's
Restaurant Baga
Bunch of Hippies...
Some pictures of the hippy types I met in Goa. Also some Indian fiends including the owner of the Rose Garden Restaurant

 
Indian band+Rayme: wicked gig at The Rose Garden Restaurant (!)
 
Rayme sitting about with John the owner


Serious sitting about
 
Michelle: girl who did my tattoo, at Rose Garden


Michelle Edge, in her 'studio'
see: My Tattoo page


Vicki
 
Rayme+Linda: get your tongue pierced in India


Ricky+Scarf: do the hippy thing
 
Marion+Werner: chill forever at the Rose Garden


Vicki
 
The tattoo that Michelle put on me
see: My Tattoo page

Indian friends: Francis & Rosie (me to right)

2003 South Anjuna Beach

1994 Anjuna beach near the old Shore Bar

 
Anjuna Beach - from the south hill

South Anjuna Beach hill at sunset

Baga Beach 1994

 
Calangute (petrol station!) 1994

 
John (right) owner of the Rose Garden

 
Michelle Edge who did my tattoo

Nani's and Rani's Baga

Orange Boom




Comments

  1. man, it brings me back to the years there..still miss it, 1994-1996 thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dell KB522 Wired Business Multimedia Keyboard

Now I have a 24" monitor on my laptop I find that the £5 keyboard is really not up to it. Hence the Dell KB522 Wired Business Multimedia Keyboard. Very nice. I have started my degree in Creative and Professional Wiring this year and think I have a lot of typing ahead, hence the keyboard. It was only once I got this I realised how hard I had to hit the keys on the old one, as first of all with this one it hurt I was hitting them so hard. Pretty much sorted on the computer front now. I bought Dell hoping for longevity from this item. I don't like to buy new stuff all the time from an environmental standpoint.

See also:

My computers a history

My new laptop

Samsung 24" monitor on hdmi laptop

New Dell Keyboard 

My favourite games

My stereos - a history

My Stereo(s) (Hi-fi) The rise and fall and rise again. A History of my stereo endeavours.

Part 1 - from a radio to the Pioneer

Part 1 | Part 2 | My stereo in June 2015

This is no boast but I love my stereo. Having a good stereo is the centre of my life and my only essential possession for someone who is not really into possessions.

Early days

I started my stereo life with a radio my Grandad gave me. Then I got my Dad's old setup (record deck and Sinclair System 2000 compact amp) which I added another one of my Grandads radio's to.

My Dad's amp was like this only black:

The Pioneer compact hi-fi

When I got a proper job I was able to start saving for something better and I bought a Pioneer compact Hi-fi which after a time I really started to hate. The Pioneer quality was lacking from this unit and really a lot of it was for show, like the twin display spectrum analyser. I hated the way the cassette and cd decks clunked about. Many things frustrated me with it, like th…

On the Docklands Light Railway