Skip to main content

Contiki Coach Tour 1990

3 week holiday travelling around Europe in a bus 18 to 35 year olds

Page 1 intro - Page 2 travelogue - Page 3 photos

So there I was a Limey on a Ozzy coach tour. And it was a very good time.

"If you miss the bus: you are having a good time!"
Bus Song: The Monkeys, Daydream Believer



In 1990 I used to work with an Australian called Rob. He had been on a Contiki tour and highly recommended it to me, but until I stepped onto the bus I had no idea that I was going to be the only Limey along! But hey the Ozzys, Kiwis and South Africans were up for a good time so I had no worries there.

We sailed to Belgium first over a very choppy sea. Here the tour combined to make a full bus; the other half had already seen the delights of Amsterdam.

During his speech introducing the tour George, the tour guide, told us that if we were not there for the bus he would leave us behind, assuming that we were 'having a good time'. Of course the tour saying became 'if you miss the bus you're having a good time'. He also playied the Monkies every day we setoff in the coach.

There was only one blight on the tour when one of the girls was knocked over by a car in Florence. Watch those mad italian drivers, they are lunatics. She had a few superficial injuries and rejoined us a few days later (girl in 'bear behind' pic, with the 'bear behind' on the photo's page).

The rest of the tour was a great time of partying and seeing Europe, never to be forgotten.

Contiki "European Experience" included: France (Paris, Fontainbleau, Beaujolais, French Riviera, Monaco), Italy (Pisa, Florence, Rome, Venice), Germany (Munich, Heidelberg, Rhine Valley), Belgium, Switzerland (Lucerne, Jungfrau), Austria, Holland, Liechtenstein.


Page 1 intro - Page 2 travelogue - Page 3 photos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My stereos - a history

My Stereo(s) (Hi-fi) The rise and fall and rise again. A History of my stereo endeavours.

Part 1 - from a radio to the Pioneer

Part 1 | Part 2 | My stereo in June 2015

This is no boast but I love my stereo. Having a good stereo is the centre of my life and my only essential possession for someone who is not really into possessions.

Early days

I started my stereo life with a radio my Grandad gave me. Then I got my Dad's old setup (record deck and Sinclair System 2000 compact amp) which I added another one of my Grandads radio's to.

My Dad's amp was like this only black:

The Pioneer compact hi-fi

When I got a proper job I was able to start saving for something better and I bought a Pioneer compact Hi-fi which after a time I really started to hate. The Pioneer quality was lacking from this unit and really a lot of it was for show, like the twin display spectrum analyser. I hated the way the cassette and cd decks clunked about. Many things frustrated me with it, like th…

Dell KB522 Wired Business Multimedia Keyboard

Now I have a 24" monitor on my laptop I find that the £5 keyboard is really not up to it. Hence the Dell KB522 Wired Business Multimedia Keyboard. Very nice. I have started my degree in Creative and Professional Wiring this year and think I have a lot of typing ahead, hence the keyboard. It was only once I got this I realised how hard I had to hit the keys on the old one, as first of all with this one it hurt I was hitting them so hard. Pretty much sorted on the computer front now. I bought Dell hoping for longevity from this item. I don't like to buy new stuff all the time from an environmental standpoint.

See also:

My computers a history

My new laptop

Samsung 24" monitor on hdmi laptop

New Dell Keyboard 

My favourite games