Skip to main content

Part 2 - after the Pioneer

My Stereo(s) (Hi-fi) The rise and fall and rise again. A History of my stereo endeavours.

Part 2 - after the Pioneer

Part 1 | Part 2 | My stereo in June 2015

Creative Zen

Creative Zen Vision M 30gig was my new stereo for a bit. The sound quality was superb and with higher quality mp3 you would not know the difference. My whole cd collection fited on it and more. Now I could take my stereo where I wanted: in the car, at home at the office. I still have my Sennheiser headphones which I use with the Zen. Only problem is the harddisk was too small.

Apple ipod classic 2009

On 25 Feb 2009 my Zen departed to a new owner. Sold on Ebay for £72. I resisted for so long but I now have a Apple ipod Classic 120gb (black). The Zen HD was full for a long time. In comes the Apple for £170. Sound quality is good and will be a long time before I fill up the HD. I thought about a Microsoft Zune 120gb but they just don't seem to get the support over in the UK. I do miss the FM radio of the Zen but it is not essential, especially as it won't be long until they switch off analogue FM. I do find that the ipod lacks bass with some recordings and I don't think the sound quality is as good as the Zen. I plug it into my stereo or listen to it on the Sennheiser's. It does sound better through a dock.

My stereo options 2012:

Cambridge Audio amp and some floorstanding speakers which I plug the ipod into through a dock. I think I get better quality sound with this budget setup than I did with the expensive Pioneer setup. It was from Second Sounds, a bargain. I am very very happy with this current setup.

Specs:
Interconnect: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AUD100 1M £9.99
Speaker cable: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SYMPHONY 200 £1.49 a meter, got 6 meters
Amp: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO A1 VERSION 3 (25watt) £69.95
Speakers: Q ACOUSTICS 1030i (100watt) £139.95

Desktop computer: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme soundcard and Logitech 5.1 Surround Speakers.

Laptop (when travelling) with scratchy internal speakers.

Me and my music at this time:

Crazy really, I have the most music I have ever had but not the quality I used to have. It's probably that way with a lot of people in this day and age. Don't misunderstand me. I love music and I do miss the quality I had with the old Pioneer. The best times were listening to it through the headphones as the detail from CD was fantastic. But now when I am travelling or so forth just having music to listen to at all over the dreadful tinny speakers of the laptop is a blessing! And the fact that I have 60gigs worth of variety even though it is at the reduced quality of mp3 is just a godsend. Yes I know I have lost detail in the music but the fact that I have not lost music altogether is the real joy. I always hope that one day I will experience the quality again.

2013 update. I have found that really there is not enough bass with the ipod and sold it, I can't live with the light bass it produced. Now I use my laptop plugged into my pro M audio soundcard (that I use to play gigs with) which is plugged in instead of the ipod.

Feb 2015 update. Q Acoustics: sold £70 and the Cambridge Audio amp is for sale.
April 2015 update. Cambridge Audio Amp sold for £30.


ipod classic 120gb

Creative Zen 30gb


CAMBRIDGE AUDIO A1 VERSION 3


My Stereo June 2015 - NEXT >>

Links:

www.apple.com/ipodclassic/
www.creative.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My stereos - a history

My Stereo(s) (Hi-fi) The rise and fall and rise again. A History of my stereo endeavours.

Part 1 - from a radio to the Pioneer

Part 1 | Part 2 | My stereo in June 2015

This is no boast but I love my stereo. Having a good stereo is the centre of my life and my only essential possession for someone who is not really into possessions.

Early days

I started my stereo life with a radio my Grandad gave me. Then I got my Dad's old setup (record deck and Sinclair System 2000 compact amp) which I added another one of my Grandads radio's to.

My Dad's amp was like this only black:

The Pioneer compact hi-fi

When I got a proper job I was able to start saving for something better and I bought a Pioneer compact Hi-fi which after a time I really started to hate. The Pioneer quality was lacking from this unit and really a lot of it was for show, like the twin display spectrum analyser. I hated the way the cassette and cd decks clunked about. Many things frustrated me with it, like th…

Dell KB522 Wired Business Multimedia Keyboard

Now I have a 24" monitor on my laptop I find that the £5 keyboard is really not up to it. Hence the Dell KB522 Wired Business Multimedia Keyboard. Very nice. I have started my degree in Creative and Professional Wiring this year and think I have a lot of typing ahead, hence the keyboard. It was only once I got this I realised how hard I had to hit the keys on the old one, as first of all with this one it hurt I was hitting them so hard. Pretty much sorted on the computer front now. I bought Dell hoping for longevity from this item. I don't like to buy new stuff all the time from an environmental standpoint.

See also:

My computers a history

My new laptop

Samsung 24" monitor on hdmi laptop

New Dell Keyboard 

My favourite games